Have you ever felt like something is blocking you from achieving your goals in your personal life, in your work life, in your relationships? Does it sometimes feel like what you want is just out of reach, too hard to achieve, too little time, energy or money to commit to it or if you do manage to reach it, that it doesn’t hang around for long?
Have you ever set wonderful and seemingly achievable New Year’s resolutions only to arrive at the following New Year to choose the same ones again?
Life skills, education, motivation and experience are all important in helping you achieve goals, but it is your subconscious mind that programs beliefs and dictates how easy or hard it is to reach our goals. These automatic programs or beliefs operate below the level of conscious awareness and determine every aspect of how you relate to life and your experiences and identifying them be challenging. These ‘beliefs’ form the basic operating system of your mind. You may not even question them because they are simply “the way things are, it’s possible you are not even consciously aware of them. Until your limiting beliefs are uncovered, you can often feel powerless to make any other choices because your sense of reality is limited by the belief.
I have worked with many clients who have subconscious or limiting beliefs such as; it’s wrong for them to be wealthy, they don’t deserve to be happy, people won’t love them if they put themselves first, making money is a struggle, they are too young, people won’t take them seriously, they are too old, it’s too late to start or that if they are really successful that they will lose connection with their friends or family.
Some beliefs are trivial and others are very important, but some things are certain:
- Our underlying beliefs operate at a deep, subconscious level.
- Underlying beliefs affect what we experience in life, including success or failure in any endeavor.
Speaking from personal experience unlearning limiting beliefs serves us very well. The truly successful people are not characterized by a lack of obstacles in their lives – rather they are characterized by a willingness, courage and determination to do the hard work to overcome those obstacles and to understand who they really are.
Some keys to success in reaching the goals that you set
- Surround yourself with people who believe in you.
- Identify limiting beliefs that are holding you back into beliefs that are helping you achieve your goals
- Enlist the help of a mentor or therapist to guide you through the process of overcoming limiting beliefs.
- Commit 100% to developing whatever knowledge or skills you need to develop and strengthen your believability to the point where “Achieving your goals is a done deal.” Go the extra mile.